Saturday, October 23, 2010

Birth announcement/ thinking of you cards tutorial

I was given a hand/footprint picture set for my daughter. It occurred to me that I could turn it into a lovely project for family members who live far away (My husband and I moved to a different state so he could attend seminary).
Since it was the day Katherine turned three months, it seemed perfect.
After making the picture the kit was intended for, I used some left over blank greeting cards. It actually wasn't that messy, though there was a reason that I ended up using her foot instead of her hand. I imagine that when she is older a hand could be easier.

 After that, I printed wallet sized photos.

 I glued them on with photo safe scrapbook glue. To put a border around the edge, I used white ribbon. If you ever try this it would be better to use a colored ribbon (like pink) so there isn't so much white space.
I liked it, but wanted to add color and draw attention away from possible fraying.

I used a paint marker to add a border. I would recommend experimenting with extra ribbon.  

Here are a couple of the finished cards. Yes, the picture is dark because I procrastinated taking it for almost three weeks. I decided to finally do it tonight so I could finish this post. I left my camera in the car, so I used my cell phone, thus the poor quality. At any rate, I also used a thick dark pen to write her name on the top of each card.

I already sent them to her grandparents and (though they are obligated to) liked them very much.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

A quilt

I decided to get back into sewing by making a quilt. I chose a simple design so that I would not want to kill myself. It has been quite a while since I embarked on a decent sewing project. I believe the last was a period dress from the 1700's that I did as a history independent study.
 Yes, yes, I know cotton is not a normally accepted fabric for a dress during this time period. However, I justified it (I didn't have the money for something better anyway) that cotton was worn by the wealthy. So, if I ever go to a reenactment, I am going to have to be stinking rich. haha
 The skirt is a separate piece.

It required a great deal of research, a set of stays, chemise and a lot of hand sewing. I guess I needed a break after that.

So, getting back to business, I decided to make a quilt. I had wanted to make something for our niece, so I decided this was perfect.
                                                         I picked out shades of green.

 OH MY GOSH. I thought the math would kill me. I decided to use 6.5 inch squares. I used a solid color for half, then rotated with the prints.
 After a long time of cutting (myself included) with the rotary, the pieces were finished- well mostly. I needed 18 colored and 18 solid.I also needed enough solid for a border. Part of this was because I underestimated the amount of fabric I would need. I used about 1.25 yards of solid, 1.5 yards of flannel backing, and three fabric quarters. I didn't bother with batting because I wanted it to be lightweight.
 It was the first time I had used my sewing machine. It was a gift from my parents for our wedding.

 I sewed around the border with green stitching. You can't see it on the front, but the light backing shows it very well.
I tied it off with green embroidery thread. The whole process took probably 4-5 hours.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A great find from a junk shop

I was very pleased to find this lovely regency portrait at a junk shop today. The trim is a little damaged, but it still looks great. It even has a quilted fabric matte. I got it for a whopping $3.00.
There is a note on the back that titles this piece "Banquet of Flowers" which is odd because there are no flowers in this portrait. It is also noted as being a product of the artist Nicolas Verendael from the Flemish School. I do not know if this is accurate. Either way, I love it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...